Sunday, February 14, 2016

Into the WIld

Into the Wild, written by Jon Krakauer, is an astounding work of nonfiction, wrote with careful thought of both emotion and realism. Anybody with a drive to be free and a dream of being one with the wild can easily relate to this book. This book reveals insight to Chris McCandless's thoughts throughout his adventures. Chris McCandless was a young man, college graduate, who was searching for a deeper connection with the world around him. A connection found seldom in a mainstream life. Chris is described as intelligent, passionate, and independent. He would disappear for, days, weeks, or even months at a time, not communicating with anyone. He did, however, make his whereabouts known to his family members, so when he performed his final disappearing act without any visit or letter, there was some initial surprise.

The summer after his graduation from Emory University, Chris set out to claim victory over the land. He explored western United States and even snuck into Mexico. He attended to his passions for three years, refusing to remain in one area for more than a couple months. He did, however, come close to settling down a couple times, finding people that he was comfortable with, in locations secluded from the outside world. He spent most of his time in Carthage, South Dakota. He made close friends in this little city and was ready to put his "itchy-feet" to rest, but decided to go on one more trip. He called this trip his "Alaskan Odyssey".

Chris McCandless was in search of something more fulfilling than a typical life and he believed that Alaska would fill the gaps within his heart. He went to Alaska unprepared for the harsh conditions, trusting that his wit would keep him alive. It was on this final trip that he meet his death. Nobody knows whether Chris walked into the Alaskan wilderness with the intent of never coming, but we do know Chris was content with life. Even though he was eating berries and rice to survive, he loved life. He would go days without a meal, but he loved life. He was not a lunatic, he was well educated and very passionate about life within the wild. The hardest thing for me to wrap my head around is that he left his parents wondering where he was and what he was doing for three years, before they got the news of his passing. I can't help but wonder, what kind of self absorbed man would do that to another person?

I have not yet reached the end of this book, but I am already sucked in. I have never felt more excited to explore our nations beautiful markings. I now know that I will not let life pass by without me knowing what is in the world. Chris McCandless says that the Grand Canyon is a place everybody should witness at some point in their lives, so I figured I would start there.

7 comments:

  1. I have seen the film based on this book, and I thought it was an amazing movie. This book seems like it would put the movie to shame; which really makes me want to read it. I feel as if all of us have had a moment in life where we look at ourselves and ask if there is something more for us out there, that we haven't explored yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you are taking from this book. A few unfortunate events have led me to live my life this same way and I am so glad I figured it out this young. I have been to the Grand Canyon and I would definitely recommend it. It is absolutely astonishing and the pictures do it no justice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Tom, I also saw the movie and it was really fantastic. I can see a lot of myself and my desires in Chris to detach myself from the materialistic life the we all so often find ourselves sucked up in today. I would love to read the book and see Krakauer put his story into words. I think Chris' story really emphasizes the importance of pursuing our connection with nature, and as a secondary theme, respecting and preserving it because it is an essential part of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally get with the getting-off-the-grid aspect of what Chris decides to do with his life. I wish I had the courage to go off into the world by myself, get away from it all. I can barely manage a "technology detox" for more than a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am reading Walden by Henry David Thoreau and it has the same premise as Into the Wild, however it occurred in 1845 and Thoreau was more tactful in his disconnection from the world. I agree with Maddie that the theme of these books seems to be connecting ourselves with nature, as we are a part of it, however as we grow as a society, it seems that we distance ourselves from it more and more. We get caught up in everything that does not matter. I think that we could all find some inspiration in Thoreau and McCandless, and disconnect everything in order to connect with ourselves and nature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think if this book accomplishes anything it is that it ignites this desire to travel and explore. I loved this book so much, I actually pick it up occasionally to just read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brandon, do you see any way that this book could be used by teachers to start or connect to conversation about climate change?

    ReplyDelete